Grammar: There is & There are
- There is: We use to talk about something in the singular:
+ There is a car in the garage.
– There is not (isn’t) a book in my bed.
? Is there a teacher in the classroom?
+ Yes, there is / – No, there is not (isn’t).
- There are: We use to talk about something in the plural:
+ There are some students here.
– There are not (aren’t) good teachers as it used to have.
? Are there any people in the house?
+ Yes, there are / – No, there are not (aren’t).
- Use some and any with plural nouns.
Some = Is is used in positive sentences. It means not an exact number.
Any = It is used with negative and question.
- Exercises about the grammar: There is or There are
Complete the sentences with the right form of There is & There are.
- _____________ a TV in the living room.
- _____________ some pictures of myself.
- _____________(not) a literature book here.
- _____________ students in the classroom?
- _____________ a school near my flat.
- _____________ a hospital in the center of the city?
- _____________ some singers.
- _____________ (not) a piano.
- _____________ any people here?
- _____________ a Brazilian here?
Usar a intonação certa e o tom te ajuda a ser mais natural e interessante quando falar em Inglês. Dando ênfase nas palavras corretas ajuda à ter um boa comunicação e ritmo. Lembre-se Intonação + stress (ênfase) = A música e o ritmo em Inglês. Tente praticar lendo bastante e praticando a conversação.
- Escute MUITO a língua Inglesa no seu tempo livre (Escute música, assista TV/séries). Fazendo isso você perceberá naturalmente o ritmo que a língua deve ter e usá-lo corretamente.
To vs. For
To = It means transfer or exchange.
For = It means a benefit (A good thing).
i.e. I made this lesson for you = It is something good for you;
i.e. I gave the book to him = I am transferring the book to him.
- Use the right form: To or For.
- Did you make that ______ him?
- I am going to talk ______ you.
- I will do that _____ you.
- He will give money _______ her.
- I teach English ________ you.
- He sings ________ you.
- I go _________ school.
- I will go _________ university.
- I will try to give the book _______ them.
- Give yourself time to think
I often give myself time to think when I am aswering questions, either by stopping and starting again. It is commom to use ”filler” sounds, i.e. ”um” and ”er’ or certain words, i.e. ”you know”, ”well”. Doing that don’t add meaning but which we use for purpose.
- Actually, alright, I mean, sort of.
Expressões com o verbo ”Take”
1- Take (your) time: Fazer algo sem pressa;
2- Take part in: Participar em algo;
3- Take place: Acontecer;
4. Take advantage of: Fazer uso de uma oportunidade.
- Phrasal verbs (Verbos frasais).
Take up: Começar uma atividade;
Take off: Decolar para aviões ou Retirar para roupas;
Take after: Ser parecido com alguém.
In this post I will teach you some sentences how to talk on the phone properly.
- Answer the phone; = It is the action.
- Hello, is that.. (name)?
- Could I speak to… (name)?
- Who am I speaking to, please? – When you are not sure who is in the other line.
- Hang on or Hold on = It means wait (Informal); / Would you mind holding? (formal).
- Sorry, the person is not here at the moment.
- Could I take a message? = It means to take notes about the conversation.
- Could I leave a message? = It means to leave a message to somebody.
- Could I call you back?
- I am returning your call;
- Could you spell that, please? = When you do not understand something, i.e the name of someone.
- Could you speak up, please?
- The line is busy = There are someone in the line / The line is engaged = Engaged means busy but it is more commom in the UK.
- Sorry, I think you’ve got the wrong number;
- Sorry, There is no one of that name here.
We use ”about to” to talk about something that it will do very soon in the future.
- About to + Verb (Infinitive)
I am about to go to the cinema = (I am going to the cinema);
You are about to go out = (You are going to go out);
She / He is about to study = (She / He is going to study);
We are about to go to the gym = (We are going to go to the gym);
They are about to take a shower = They are going to take a shower).
- Exercises about the expression ‘’about to’’.
- Complete the exercises below:
- I am __________ clean the house.
- He is about to _________ (Study) a lot.
- She is __________ go out.
- They are _________ travel abroad.
- We are _________ listen to you.
- You are about to ________ (dance).
- I am about to ________ (drive).
- I am not about to ________ (go out).
- He is not __________ study.
- They are not about to __________ (read) a book.
- You are not _________ read a magazine.
- I am about to ___________ (go) to the cinema.
The weather: O Clima
- Cloudy /klaudi/: Nublado;
- Cold /kold/: Frio;
- Foggy /Fog:i/: Nebrina;
- Hot / Ho:t/: Quente;
- Icy /Ise/: Gelado;
- Rainy /Rane/: Chuvoso;
- Snowy /Snoe/: Nevado;
- Sunny /Sane/: Ensolarado;
- Warm /War:m/: Morno;
- Windy /Winde/: Ventoso.
- What is the weather like? (Como o clima está?)
It is cold and snowy. (Está frio e nevado).
Why the reading is so important?
A lot of people say that do not like reading. There are many reasons: Do not have time or do another activity. Nowadays, it is important to read. Through that you can adquire knowlegde.
You can learn vocabulary doing it. So, it will be more easily to express yourself in English. Try to start with an easy reading although raise the level later.
1- Try to read in bed. Doing that you can sleep more easily and learn more;
2- Read everything: News, newspapers, literature books and magazines. But read!!
“Reading must be a pleasure activity and not something it has to be made‘.