In this post I will teach you some sentences how to talk on the phone properly.
- Answer the phone; = It is the action.
- Hello, is that.. (name)?
- Could I speak to… (name)?
- Who am I speaking to, please? – When you are not sure who is in the other line.
- Hang on or Hold on = It means wait (Informal); / Would you mind holding? (formal).
- Sorry, the person is not here at the moment.
- Could I take a message? = It means to take notes about the conversation.
- Could I leave a message? = It means to leave a message to somebody.
- Could I call you back?
- I am returning your call;
- Could you spell that, please? = When you do not understand something, i.e the name of someone.
- Could you speak up, please?
- The line is busy = There are someone in the line / The line is engaged = Engaged means busy but it is more commom in the UK.
- Sorry, I think you’ve got the wrong number;
- Sorry, There is no one of that name here.